October 3, 2014
There comes a point in time when I am tired of the summer weather. I know many of you won’t agree with me but I long for sweaters and fires and cozy comfort. That is probably one reason why I decided I needed to ignore the 75 degree weather in the beginning of October and make some soup.
I love soup. It takes me back to those childhood days of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches my mom would make me. It was soup out of a can but it still gave you the warmth and cozy home feeling after the chill of the autumn air.
I had seen this soup recipe in our local newspaper and of course I couldn’t leave it alone…I had to put my own spin on it. I am so glad I did because as we were sitting around the table in our shorts and flip-flops, my husband said to me that if we weren’t already married, after eating this soup he would have married me! How is that for a testimonial on how good this was?
This is super easy to make so even on a busy day, you can have this for your family dinner. A salad and some crusty bread will make it a complete meal.
Cold weather will be here soon and I will be making this again. Heavy socks, a warm sweater and a bowl of this soup will take me back to my mom’s kitchen. I don’t know about you, but it doesn’t get any better than that.
Smoked Sausage and Kale Soup
- 4 ounces Pancetta, diced
- 8 ounces smoked sausage (I used a pecan smoked Andouille sausage), thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 baby leeks (white and light green part only), sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh herbs (thyme, basil, parsley, rosemary. You can add any or all)
- Optional -Parmigiano Reggiano cheese rind ** see note
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves roasted garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch kale (about 2 cups chopped), rinsed and center stem removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- **NOTE – I always keep my rinds from my Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in the freezer and add them to soups, sauces and gravies. They add a lot of flavor
- Heat heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until slightly crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add smoked sausage and cook until browned, about another 5 minutes.
- Add leeks and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in beans, chicken broth, herbs and wine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes. (if using cheese rind, add that in now)
- In the meantime, heat a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, chopped roasted garlic and chopped kale. Stir to combine and heat until kale is slightly wilted
- Add garlic and kale to soup, stir to combine (if using cheese rind, remove at this point)
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.