October 17, 2013
It was a Sunday afternoon and it was cold and rainy. Fall was definitely here and the weather was definitely matching my mood. Football games were on and I really didn’t want to spend my day cleaning (even though we all know that is what I should have done), so I started focusing on what I could make for dinner. When in doubt, cook.
It was a perfect day for comfort food, but I wanted something different from my standard go-to pasta dish. I didn’t feel like soup and I was really over cooking chili. And then that momentary flash-back occurred and I remembered the garlic show I had seen the day before. There were a couple of dishes that I liked but didn’t like either of them enough to make one. I did however like parts of them enough to combine them and create a dish that was exactly what I was looking for. A warm, comforting, sit on the couch and dunk dish.
Who doesn’t like garlic? This was a perfect combination of a warm soup, a hearty dish and the feel good that you get from a pasta.
You could easily pour this over pasta or rice, even mashed potatoes and make a nice dinner out of it. For me, however, sitting there dunking my crusty bread loaf into the roasted garlic yumminess was the inside tailgating atmosphere I had been looking for.
The Patriots won a great game and much to my husband’s disappointment the Giants lost….again. It can’t get any better than that.
Shrimp and Sausage in Garlic Sauce
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 large bunch thyme, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 3 links chicken sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 ribs celery, sliced thin on the bias
- Large pinch saffron
- 1 zucchini, green part only, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Crusty, chewy bread for sopping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put the garlic bulbs straight on the oven rack and roast them until they are soft when squeezed, about 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool.
- While roasting the garlic, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat and cook the sausage and onions, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon until it resembles ground beef.
- When the bulbs are cool, slice the tops off and squeeze out the roasted garlic in the bowl of a food processor along with the lemon zest and juice, thyme, cumin, crushed red pepper and salt to taste. Add a little more olive oil and puree or mash into a loose paste. Add to sausage mixture and combine.
- Add wine to deglaze pan.
- Add tomato paste, stirring to combine with sausage mixture. Add celery, saffron, zucchini and chicken stock and bring to a simmer on medium low heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir to cook the shrimp evenly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.