May 14, 2013
On most weekends, sitting over breakfast, my husband and I look at each other and ask what we’re going to have for dinner. It was no different this past Mother’s Day Sunday. My children were not here to cook for me, and I didn’t want to go out for dinner. My only other options were to have my husband cook dinner which probably would have consisted of steak on the grill, or to cook it myself. I obviously decided to cook it myself.
The nice part of cooking for yourself on Mother’s Day is that you get to choose what you want. And my husband got to do the shopping. I wish everyday was like that! Anyway…it was cold for May 12th so we were thinking of something comforting, but I really wanted lobster. I could have done Lobster Mac and Cheese, because let’s face it…that is the ultimate of comfort foods. However, we were trying to go a little healthier so it was crossed off my list of choices.
And then it hit me. I had seen a recipe for a shrimp and pasta recipe that had previously caught my eye. I could adapt it and use the lobster. And so I did with some minor experimental changes.
And it was good.
You can use shrimp if you prefer but I think the lobster added a bit more richness to it. You can also cut out the butter and wine to make it even more healthy if you choose. This is one of those recipes you can add and subtract to make it your own. Experiment a little, I think this is one of those dishes that will always come out tasting yummy.
So the next time it looks like you might have to cook your own celebration dinner…..embrace it. You’ll be glad you did!
Lobster Linguine with Lemon and Basil
- 1 2-lb lobster
- 6 ounces linguini or fettuccine
- small palm of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red, yellow and/or green bell pepper strips
- 1 cup fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- shredded lemon peel from 1 large lemon
- 8 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/8 cup basil, chiffonade (this is when you take several basil leaves, roll them and slice)
- lemon wedges (optional)
1. Cook lobster in a pot of boiling water for approximately 7 minutes
2. Remove lobster meat from shell and chop into bite size pieces. set aside.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter and olive oil together. Add pepper strips
and stir about 2 minutes, or until tender crisp.
5. Add asparagus and garlic and cook an additional minute. Salt and pepper to
6. Add wine to mixture and stir.
7. Add lobster, green onions, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and
8. Add pasta and basil ciffonade
9. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with lemon wedges and more basil if desired.