March 28, 2013
I first discovered Rowena’s almond pound cake many years ago when I had a little sample at some show I can’t even remember. I was in love and totally hooked! At the time, it was just my two children and I so i would buy the little loaves and we would freeze them so we could have them all the time. It never occurred to me that we could actually go to Norfolk and buy more. We became Rowena Almond Pound Cake Horders. They should have made a show about us.
You can imagine my delight when I saw there was a contest Rowena’s was hosting on National Pound Cake Day. I really didn’t have anything that I made with pound cake so I was a little nervous about attempting this, but what did I have to lose? I loved their pound cake so I did something that was so unlike me….. I actually entered the contest.
And guess what? I WON!!! Wow…never did I expect to win in a million years! This was one of my most exciting moments EVER! (i think i actually cried a little I was so happy)
I was equally surprised when I received the package from them. Not only did I have the winning options of almond pound cake and lemon curd (which also happens to be the best lemon curd), but I also had several other items that I’m excited to try in future recipes. Raspberry curd, Lavender sauce and Jalapeno Ketchup, to name a few (the ketchup might actually help me to win in next year’s Don’t Let Your Meatloaf Party!) I was also fortunate to receive Patrick Evans-Hylton’s new products that he is starting…the Historic Hot Chocolate and Chesapeake Bay Seasoning. Can’t wait to try them all!
You really need to buy an almond pound cake from Rowena’s for yourself. If you love almond you will love this cake. Just opening the package is an aromatic experience. The almond scent is better than…..dare I say it?…..yes, for foodies, better than sex. The cake is so moist and so flavorful that it takes all the self-control I have to not eat the entire thing myself.
This recipe is so easy to make. It is great for a dinner party or if you’re all by yourself. The only stipulation I have is to make sure you have a Rowena’s almond pound cake if you’re going to make it. Any other would be a total disservice to this dessert.
Rowena’s and my winning recipe!
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 tablespoons Limoncello Liqueur
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 ounces marscapone cream at room temperature
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 slices of Rowena’s Almond Pound Cake
1. combine raspberries, 2 tablespoons Limoncello and powdered sugar. Slightly mash with a fork to extract juices. Set aside.
2. Beat marscapone and heavy whipping cream together until soft peaks form. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until combined. Set aside.
3. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a pan on medium low heat. Add slices of Rowena’s Almond Pound Cake and cook until lightly toasted.
4. Place pound cake on a plate. Top with berry mixture and then dollop with whipped cream.